Minor & Adopted Children

What are the documents required for applying for a passport for a minor?

1.  Application (Form-I) along with Annexure-H (Declaration of Applicant Parent/Legal Guardian) signed by both parents.
In cases where only parent of the minor applicant is present, a single parent affidavit in the requisite format, can be submitted, taking legal responsibility for the consequences of issue of a passport to the minor applicant.

2.  Two copies of Birth Certificate / School Certificate / School Leaving Certificate / Bonafide Certificate, for proof of date
of birth. [Note: Birth Certificate is a must for those applicants born on or after 26.01.1989.]

3.   Parents’ proof of address, if different from the address on their passport.

4.   Passport copies of both parents. At least one of the parent's passports should have the spouse name endorsed in it i.e  mother's passport should have husband’s name entered in her passport (OR) father’s passport should have wife’s name entered. [Note: If both the parents' passport do not have spouse name endorsed in it, first apply for inclusion of spouse
name service and thereafter apply for a passport for a minor child.]

5.   If parents already hold passports, or have applied for passports but have not yet received them, please furnish the relevant details (passport numbers or file numbers of the parents’ applications), in Column 16 of the application form.

6.   If either of the parents is staying abroad, furnish a consent letter in the form of an affidavit attested by the Indian Mission concerned (format available on our website – please click here to download)

7.   In case the parent is a divorcee, furnish certified copy of Court Order giving custody of the child.

8.   In case parents are separated, single parent affidavit to be made.  Format of the affidavit is available on our website. 

9.   The self declaration at Column 19 is to be signed by one of the parents ( or legal guardian, as applicable) as co-applicant
with the minor.

10.  No pre or post verification will be made in the case of applicants up to 15 years of age. However, in all such cases a declaration as given in Annexure-H in passport information booklet should be submitted in each and every case. Applicants above the age of 15 years are advised to apply for full-validity passports, with police verification.

11.   In case both parents do not hold passports, any 3 of the 14 listed documents (please refer to the tatkaal section of our website for details) in respect of the parents, and the standard affidavit as per Annexure-I should be furnished. If this is not done, the file will be sent for police verification.

12.  The fee applicable is Rs. 600/-. The approximate time taken for issue of a passport for minors is about 10-12 days, subject  to there being no objections on their file, or their parent'(s) file.

13.  ECNR status is automatic for all minor applicants up to the age of 18 years.

 Passports for minor children above 15 years but below 18 years:

 Children above the age of 15 yrs but below the age of 18 yrs have the option of getting a minor passport (valid up to the age of 18 years) or that of an adult (valid for 10 full years):

  1.  According to the option exercised, the fee will be Rs. 1000/- or Rs. 600/-. For a fee of Rs. 1000/-, passport validity will be
10 years and for Rs.600, the validity will be 5 years, or until the age of 18 yrs, whichever is earlier.

2.   Personal particular forms in duplicate duly filled-in along with copies of documents, to be enclosed, for the purpose of police verification (for full-validity passports)


I want to apply for a passport for my child (minor), but my husband is currently abroad,
so he won’t be able to present himself during this period. How do I proceed to apply?

You may advise your husband to approach the nearest Indian Mission to make an attested Declaration stating that
he has no objection to making a passport application for the child. After getting the attested Declaration,
you can submit the application form (Form-I) with a copy of the declaration.

The photocopy of his passport should also be attested by the Indian Mission concerned, before it can be accepted by
a Passport Office.

We are planning to apply for passports for our kids (minors).
Is it necessary that my name should have been included in my wife’s passport?

     Yes.  At least one of the parents should have the other spouse’s name included in their passport.
Please refer the miscellaneous services section of our website for details regarding this service.

Is it necessary that both parents should have passports before applying for passports for the children?

    Not necessary.  The advantage of parents having passports is that it exempts their minor children from the police
verification process. According to the new guidelines published in December 2006, if both parents do not hold passports,
any 3 of the 14 listed documents can be submitted in respect of the parents to establish their identity, along with the standard affidavit as per Annexure-I. (Please refer the tatkaal section of our website for details)


I have a one-month-old baby? Does the baby require  a separate passport Or  his/her name can be endorsed
in one of the parents’ passports?

    Endorsement of child’s name in parents’ passports is not allowed anymore. As per the amended law, minors should have 
separate passports.


I wish to apply for a passport for my minor child who is 12 months old.
In the signature column, who needs to sign the form?
Is it the child’s thumb impression, or is it the father’s signature?

    Since your child is a minor now, the application needs to be countersigned by the parents, i.e.
the declaration at column 19 of the application form. The thumb impression of your child has to be affixed in thumb
impression column.

Do both parents of a minor child have to be present to submit the application, or is it okay if either one is present? Also does the baby have to be present?

    It is okay if either of the parents submits the application of a minor child.  Baby need not be present. The joint declaration is, however, required to be signed by both parents, except in the case of single parents, who should submit a “single parent affidavit”. In cases where custody of the child is to be ascertained, the passport issuing authority may require the child to be produced at the passport office.

In the case of a minor child's passport, when the father is abroad, is consent to be obtained to apply for a passport? If so, what is the procedure?

      Yes. Consent of the father is generally required for submitting the application. It should be in the form of a Sworn Affidavit duly attested by the Indian Embassy/Consulate abroad. (Also refer separate instructions for single parents)

I am a student staying away from my parents. Where do I apply for a passport and what proof of residence shall I have to furnish?

     For instance, if you are a student staying in Rohtak (which falls under the jurisdiction of RPO, Chandigarh) and your parents are staying in Shimla. You can apply at RPO, Chandigarh. For this purpose, along with your form, you have to provide four Personal Particulars forms. Please also indicate your hostel address/the place where you are staying in Rohtak  as present address and your parent’s address as Permanent address.  

     In case your college falls under the jurisdiction of some other Passport Office, you can either apply to the Passport Office in whose jurisdiction your hostel/place of stay is located or in the Passport Office in whose jurisdiction your parents’ address (permanent address) is located.

     For proof of residence at your hostel/place of stay, either you should provide a letter from the Principal/Warden or proof of residence of the guardian with whom you are staying along with the guardianship affidavit. You should also provide proof of your parents address (i.e. permanent address). 



How do I apply for a passport for an adopted child?

            All matters relating to adoption are dealt with by the Central Adoption Resource Agency (CARA) in the
            Ministry of Welfare, Govt. of India. 

a)   Inter-Country Adoption:

The prospective adoptive parents abroad (foreigners), who wish to adopt a child from India, have to approach the recognized (foreign) agencies of their country for adoption. The child for adoption may be taken from any of the child welfare agencies recognized by the Government of India. 

Documents required in connection with issue of passport in inter-country adoption cases:  

1.     Application form (Form-1)duly filled-in

2.     Certificate of Recognition of the local adoption agency by CARA

3.     Certified Copy of the Court Order, with a copy of photograph of the child attested by the Court

4.     No objection Certificate from CARA

5.     Power of Attorney

6.     Child Study Report

7.     Copy of child surrender (relinquishing) document

8.     Sworn affidavit for Date of Birth executed by the Orphanage

9.     Legal Guardianship affidavit (As per format given in Annexure ‘G’ of the instructions attached to passport
        application form.)

b)  Adoption of a child living with biological / natural parents by any Indian national living
      abroad / foreign national of Indian origin living abroad:

1.     Adoptive parents’ passports copy

2.     Legally valid adoption deed registered with the Registrar of Documents

3.     Proof of stay of adoptive parents

4.     Birth Certificate of the child

In case of adoptions by Muslims, Christians and Parsis, the adoption can be done under the provisions of the
Guardians and Wards Act, 1890
, with the following documents:

1.     Court Order (with photograph of the child) for guardianship and for taking the child out of the country

2.     Passport copy of adoptive parents

3.     Guardianship affidavit

4.     Proof of stay of adoptive parents

5.     Birth Certificate of the child

  c)  Adoption of a child by Indian Hindus from a child welfare organization:

1.     Court Order (with photograph of the child) permitting the child to be adopted by the parents

2.     Legally valid and registered Adoption Deed

3.     Parents’ passport copy

4.     Birth Certificate of the child or copy of surrender document from the orphanage.

Home || Introduction || Tatkaal Scheme || Status of Application || Forms || How to apply ||  Affidavits  || Check List  ||  Counter Details || Contact || Where to Apply   ||  Helpline